The retired teachers’ health care account is in a shambles. The TRB has changed the fund to a Medicare advantage plan because the State has underfunded the account by almost $200 million over the last 8 years. The TRB is estimating that there will be an $8 million shortfall in the health fund budget already next year. The state made a promise to teachers, and we are calling upon them to “keep the promise” that they made and put in at least the 25% funding (if not the full one-third) to keep our health account solvent.
- You must act now if you care about your Health Care (and pension).
- Send a copy of the following to your legislators (and the state officials listed below.)
Subject: Retired Teacher Insurance Crisis
Keep the State’s promise and not let the Retired Teacher Health Insurance Fund become insolvent. The TRB’s insurance consultant predicts it will be bankrupt before the end of this year.
- Teachers paid into the fund all their working years in order to lower insurance costs during retirement years. Active teachers continue to contribute 1.25% of their pay into the fund.
- Retired teachers pay all their Medicare premiums and the bulk of their supplemental costs.
- The State failed to contribute its promised 33⅓% contribution over the years. Because the State has short funded the Health Fund by well over $192 million over the last few years, the TRB was forced into a Medicare Advantage Plan. This is a temporary fix with many unknowns.
- State funding is flat for the biennium budget. In order to maintain the fund, the State will need to contribute 28 million dollars into the fund.
“Will you support retired teachers and vote to maintain the solvency of my Health Insurance Fund?”
Session ends on May 9; Contact Your Legislator Now
You can copy and paste any of the above information into an email message, or use it in a phone message or letter.
- TO FIND YOUR STATE LEGISLATORS AND THEIR CONTACT INFO GO TO: cga.ct.gov
- SCROLL DOWN TO: Find your legislators. Fill in Town, Street Name and Number
(If you have trouble doing this, PLEASE SEEK HELP FROM FAMILY, FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS; IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!)
- ALSO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING OFFICIALS IN YOUR EMAILS, LETTERS OR TELEPHONE CALLS:
Gov. Dannel Malloy
Senate President Pro Tempore Martin M. Looney
Senate Majority Leader Bob Duff
State Republican President Pro Tempore Leonard Fasano
Speaker of the House Joe Aresimowicz
House Minority Leader Themis Klarides